Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Memory monitoring on CloudBees RUN@cloud instance

I've been playing with RUN@cloud for some time. In fact it's former Stax service provider. Friendly speaking I was disappointed a little because they decided to decrease amount of RAM available for Tomcat from 256 Mb to 128 Mb for free account. It doesn't affected my playground apps there, but the fact... From other point they have something good for Open Source projects. Maybe I'll try it soon.

So, regarding this changes, I've desided to write RIA application for live RAM monitoring. I mean not JVM memory, but actual RAM amount. I believe this makes sense, even for all things which are even not Java related. Yep, I know there are a lot of them available for free, some of them are commercial. The key feature of my application here is that we have near real time memory charts - 1 second between measuring times + some network roundtrips time + time for rendering. And all this in fancy Adobe Flex client.

Next thing I'm going to do is to create the same kind of application, but for Android. It's possible with Adobe Flash builder 4.5. Among tons of games, organaizers and other stuff this application could be useful for admins, support team, whatever.

You can take a look at my app here : http://monitoring.daoway.staxapps.net/

Any feedback apprececiated. Thanks.

No comments: